Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am planning on opening a roth ira for education purposes for
my daughter. Do the withdrawals (both the basis and the appreciation)
for education expenses classify as "qualified" withdrawals so that
i can avoid tax on the withdrawals for such purpose?. </i.

OK. We've got some misunderstanding to clear up first. You can't open a Roth for your child. What you do is open an Educational IRA for her.

See IRS Publication 590 at

This year the limit on Ed IRA is $500. I think it's $2000 next year. The Ed IRA is like a Roth in that they are both after tax. The earnings are tax free if used for education. The contribution has been taxed and won't be again. You can open the Roth for yourself and also do the Ed IRA for your child. They don't count against each other.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.