Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am planning to retire in about 3 months, and my
employer offers a pension to me. I need to determine
if it is wise to take the Single Life Only option
where I would receive the maximum pension money.

The alternative seems to be to take the Joint and
Survivor option that will provide a lifetime income
for my spouse of about $30,000 when I die. The
pension difference between the 100% (Single Life)
option, and the Joint Survivor option is about
$5,000/year to me.

I would need more information to be more definite, but a Lump Sum Distribution of a FMV $600,000 pension would be taxed at about 26% with 5 year averaging, and a lower percentage if it is less $s and/or if you were a participant prior to 1974. The $30,000 pension might, along with other income and SS, put you into the 28% or even 31% tax bracket for these funds. You may prefer investing your own funds versus a fixed pension income, and leaving some of it to children as a pension will stop when both you and your spouse die, or just you die on a single life option. It is worth considering, at least. Ed
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.