No. of Recommendations: 1
I am retired from the military; we have to make a survivor benefit program decision at the time we retire. For me, it was the hardest financial decision I had to make in connection with retirement. There were a couple of factors that led me to take it (although we had the option to take it at various levels and I did not take the full amount):
- the payments to the survivor are inflation indexed; if yours are that might make it more valuable than you might initially think;
- the premiums for the program are paid with pre-tax dollars; if yours are also you will have to "gross-up" (by your marginal tax rate)the amount of income you would have to earn to pay an equal amount for an insurance policy.
- the real bottom line: my wife had spent 26.5 years of my 28 years of active duty with me, moving every 3 - 5 years and foregoing her own career opporunities. I couldn't put her in a position where she would have no guaranteed, regular income to sustain her if I fell to my death swinging from the chandelier at my retirement party.

jtmitch
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.