Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 7
I am self-employed and normally do my own taxes however, I am not familiar with the "stock" forms. I am a new investor who bought a few stocks then sold them in the yr. 2000 with short term capital gains tax. What kind of forms do I use to send the IRS? Or, where can I read up on the info?
=== === ===

Stock sales (roundtrip) are reported on 1040 Schedule D (Capital Gains and Losses). I would suggest that you get a copy of Schedule D and the instructions and study them thoroughly. Then you can pose specific questions here for any points that might be still eluding you.
You can download Schedule D and the instructions from the IRS website:
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.