Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am so old there were no college classes in computing.

My first encounter was in a grad school stat class. The point of the exercise was to learn to use the main frame. The exercise itself was to head over to the computer center and, using a free terminal, set up a 2x2 ANOVA. Results would be available the next day. It took as long to do the punch cards as it would have for me to do the whole thing by pencil and paper--and I'd have had the results immediately.

Still, larger problems would have been faster than pencil and paper.

Eric Hine
Print the post Back To Top
If history is indication, it will be $10 cheaper after Christmas.

Still $39, but with a $10 Amazon gift card.

Thanks for your post.
I got the same promotion email from Turbo Tax. I want to run some numbers early so I followed the link to Costco and made the purchase for a download copy. Costco sent a link where I did the download. Then I installed the download. Then I started TurboTax 2021 and it ran updates.

Then I started TurboTax. I tried to Activate it. (I have the code from Costco.)

That gets me an empty white window. At the top it says TurboTax - Activation. The empty window just sits there. No place to enter the code from Costco. No nothing. Just an empty rectangle. That sits there doing nothing. Indefinitely.

I tried rebooting. It made no difference.

I opened Task Manager (this is Windows 11). The line for Turbo Tax (32 bit) breaks down as three lines. One is a repeat: Turbo Tax (32 bit). Then there are two lines that say the same thing: CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess (32 bit). Turbo Tax is shown as using 58.0 MB; the two instances of CefSharp use 19.4 MB and 6.0 MB. They are not consuming any CPU.

All I have is an empty white window. I can not activate using an empty white window.

Oh well.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Too much google and far too much poking around in Intuit's customer discussion boards and I have it activated. The SAME PROBLEM existed for the 2020 product and did not get fixed between last year and this. Would you believe it required changing screen resolution? More than once? Idiots.
Too much google and far too much poking around in Intuit's customer discussion boards and I have it activated. The SAME PROBLEM existed for the 2020 product and did not get fixed between last year and this. Would you believe it required changing screen resolution? More than once? Idiots.

Even though I hate Windows (Windows 10 these days), I have it on my little machine that I use when only Windows will do. I cannot stand Quicken and TurboTax anymore, so I use GnuCash on my Linux machine instead of Quicken, but I use TaxAct instead of TurboTax on my Windows machine because it runs only on Windows. TaxAct used to be cheaper than TurboTax, but I am not sure that is still the case.

I had no trouble installing the pre-release version of the software, and I used it to fill in the initial boiler plate from my last year's return. I then saved it.

The main problem is I have no printer on that machine, so I put all my reports on a thumb drive and sneaker-net it over to my Linux machine for printing. But I need do this only once a year.
No. of Recommendations: 1
One wonders what you have to print these days. File electronically, and save the PDFs on backed up storage. I haven’t printed anything from TurboTax in many years.

Bruce
No. of Recommendations: 7
One wonders what you have to print these days. File electronically, and save the PDFs on backed up storage. I haven’t printed anything from TurboTax in many years.

I do file electronically, and I do save my tax returns electronically, both by keeping all my returns on the machine where they were generated, as well as backing everything up on removable external hard drives. But having backup media, like my Exabyte tape drives, no longer supported by Windows, and various other backup media no longer supported by any hardware, I have come to realize that paper copies are the way to go.

I have been around long enough to have used IBM 7-track tapes, IBM 9-track tapes, DECtape, floppy discs, IOmega zip disks, CD-ROM disks, DVD-R discs, ..., ...
I have been around long enough to have used IBM 7-track tapes, IBM 9-track tapes, DECtape, floppy discs, IOmega zip disks, CD-ROM disks, DVD-R discs, ..., ...

Me too, all of the above. But you left out paper tape and floppies! 😁

Bruce
On a more serious note, I feel confident that even if SATA drives and USB storage go the way of 7 track tape, cloud storage in some form will be around the rest of my life. I back everything up to all three, using Amazon S3 for cloud. I hate keeping paper filed away. My house isn’t that big, and I like trees.

Bruce
Long AMZN

Me too, all of the above. But you left out paper tape and floppies! 😁

I used floppies for a little while, but I was too embarrassed to say so. I have used punched paper tape, but not to save anything on.
On a more serious note, I feel confident that even if SATA drives and USB storage go the way of 7 track tape, cloud storage in some form will be around the rest of my life. I back everything up to all three, using Amazon S3 for cloud. I hate keeping paper filed away. My house isn’t that big, and I like trees.

There is some stuff I am unwilling to put on the cloud (a.k.a. someone else's computer(s)). Also some cloud storage companies tend to keep only the most recent of backups, not all of them. And some of them just disappear. By Murphy's Law, just before I would need something.

And punch cards, punched tape, cassette decks.

Even paper goes away unless it's acid-free, and that's getting harder to find.

Eric Hines
Ooh, I’ve used punched cards and cassette decks (forgot about those). But I’ve never heard of punched tape, unless you mean paper tape.

Bruce
But I’ve never heard of punched tape, unless you mean paper tape.

Bruce

Not all punched tape was paper tape.
Someone should start a pool on how many times it updates after downloading it. Buying it now sets the price paid but unless I had an easy tax return(which I don't), I wouldn't be counting on many of the numbers. I will allow time for updating any time I open it ;)
Someone should start a pool on how many times it updates after downloading it.

Counting updates until after the 2021 tax laws are passed is useless.

Unless you have a simple return, filing early is also useless. The IRS can't even produce forms until the tax laws are stable. It wouldn't be a surprise if acceptance of tax returns is again delayed.

I will allow time for updating any time I open it ;)

True for many years but will be especially true for 2021. Often the updates are for the unusual cases that they don't have in their standard testing.
Someone should start a pool on how many times it updates after downloading it. Buying it now sets the price paid but unless I had an easy tax return(which I don't), I wouldn't be counting on many of the numbers. I will allow time for updating any time I open it ;)

Makes sense, and for any tax preparation software, not just TurboTax. I happen to use TaxAct, but it has the same problem, of course. Until the bozos in congress get the tax laws passed, and their self-contradictory mistakes discovered and remedied, the IRS cannot even produce the necessary forms. And until the IRS produces the necessary forms, the tax prep companies cannot complete their software.

I have downloaded my TaxAct software and installed it. Just to be sure I could, since I got a new computer for it with Windows 10 in it last year. In the past I used it in Windows 7. Once it was installed, it checked for updates; I forgot if it got any. I then started it and it found last year's return and copied over my stuff from there (my name, d.o.b., marital status, s.s.n., etc.) They do not have the stuff for my state taxes yet.
Even if the IRS and TT had everything settled, 1099's aren't issued until end of January, so I don't do my taxes until February anyway.
since I got a new computer for it with Windows 10 in it last year.

And now there is Windows 11. I updated but am questioning if I should have. No significant problems yet.
Unless you have a simple return, filing early is also useless. The IRS can't even produce forms until the tax laws are stable. It wouldn't be a surprise if acceptance of tax returns is again delayed.

I didn't say anything about filing early....

and I was actually joking in the first place.

I was going to do some fiddling to deal with both tax brackets and medicare brackets. But please everyone go on and on....
Even if the IRS and TT had everything settled, 1099's aren't issued until end of January, so I don't do my taxes until February anyway.

I forget if this has been changed to the middle of February, but some companies do not send them until much later than then. Screw them. I usually finish my returns in early March, but if I do not get a 1099 until after I file, I put in in the folder with the other documentation, but to not file an amended return. The IRS has never complained.
And now there is Windows 11. I updated but am questioning if I should have. No significant problems yet.

I did not dare. I will run Windows 10 until either Microsoft withdraws support, or until TaxAct insists on Windows 11, 12, 13, or whatever they are up to by then.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I forget if this has been changed to the middle of February, but some companies do not send them until much later than then. Screw them. I usually finish my returns in early March, but if I do not get a 1099 until after I file, I put in in the folder with the other documentation, but to not file an amended return. The IRS has never complained.

Yes, it has been changed to mid February with the option of the broker requesting an extension.

If you are using the information that would be in the 1099 then the IRS isn't going to complain. If you miss any significant income the IRS will notice. I was recovering from surgery last year and missed a 1099. The IRS sent a bill for $18.00 plus a few cents penalty.
It was punch cards and paper tape. I worked with the latter in Jr High. They used the former in the movie Hidden Figures.

Fuskie
Who is hoping his Home & Business TurboTax will come with a January coupon from Costco...

-----
Premium Home Fool: Ask me a Foolish Question, I'll give you a Foolish Response!
Ticker Guide: The Walt Disney Company (DIS), Intuit (INTU), Live Nation (LYV), CME Group (CME), MongoDB (MDB), Trip Advisor (TRIP), Vivendi SA (VIVHY), Mimecast (MIME), Virgin Galactic (SPCE), Axon Technologies (AXON), 51Jobs (JOBS)
Disclaimer: This post is non-professional and should not be construed as direct, individual or accurate advice
Disassociation: The views and statements of this post are Fuskie's and are not intended to represent those of The Motley Fool or any other sane body
Disclosure: May own shares of some, many or all of the companies mentioned in this post: https://tinyurl.com/FuskieDisclosure
Fool Code of Conduct: https://www.fool.com/legal/the-motley-fools-rules.aspx
Invitation: You are invited to interactively watch Motley Fool Live online television: https://www.fool.com/premium/live/
Call to Action: If you like this or any other post, Rec it. Better yet, reply to it. Even better, start your own thread. This is YOUR TMF Community!
It was punch cards and paper tape. I worked with the latter in Jr High. They used the former in the movie Hidden Figures.

Fuskie
Who is hoping his Home & Business TurboTax will come with a January coupon from Costco...

My college classes and my first job used punch cards and I have used a card punch. Some of the perforated tape that was used wasn't paper. Not certain of the exact material. It was closer to a mylar.
My college classes and my first job used punch cards and I have used a card punch. Some of the perforated tape that was used wasn't paper. Not certain of the exact material. It was closer to a mylar.

I am so old there were no college classes in computing. So I was self-taught.

I used an 024 key punch (that did not print across the top of the card) and an 026 (that did). I used a little paper tape on one machine (a Computer Control DDP-224), but all it had on it was the code to boot up the operating system for it (that I wrote). It appeared three times on that tape that was scotch-taped together into a loop. It was a sandwich with mylar on the outside and aluminum foil in between (better contrast for photo-electric paper tape reader).
I am so old there were no college classes in computing.

My first encounter was in a grad school stat class. The point of the exercise was to learn to use the main frame. The exercise itself was to head over to the computer center and, using a free terminal, set up a 2x2 ANOVA. Results would be available the next day. It took as long to do the punch cards as it would have for me to do the whole thing by pencil and paper--and I'd have had the results immediately.

Still, larger problems would have been faster than pencil and paper.

Eric Hine
Yeah, I liked TaxAct until it started charging when I went to uplaoad. Something like $170 (plus initial fee) if my memory serves me well.

MoneySlob
No. of Recommendations: 2
TurboTax software is on sale at Costco again starting 12/29.

FWIW,

IP
Yeah, I liked TaxAct until it started charging when I went to uplaoad. Something like $170 (plus initial fee) if my memory serves me well.

Why are your fees so large? I got the premier edition because there are some complexities related to foreign investment. Otherwise, I would have gotten a less expensive version. But you are right: I remember prices like $24.95 ages ago and an additional fee for my state taxes.

Order date: 11/17/2021 7:51:07 PM
Order Summary
Product Format Qty. Unit Price Total
TaxAct 2021 New Jersey 1040 Edition Download 1 $0.00 $0.00
TaxAct 2021 Premier Edition Download 1 $129.95 $129.95

Sub-total $129.95
Tax $8.60
Grand Total $138.55
Starting last year, I switched from TaxAct to the Free File Fillable Forms (IRS).
I decided that our taxes aren't so complicated anymore, and I can find my way around the forms I need. It worked reasonably well for me and I saved some bucks.

https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/free-file-fillable-form...
If history is indication, it will be $10 cheaper after Christmas.

I just purchased TurboTax Premier from Amazon (I need Premier, not just Deluxe) - and Premier plus a $10 gift card was $39.98.
$40 for Premier PC download. + $10 GC
$55 for Premier Disc + $10 GC
$40 for Deluxe PC download + $10GC (although - why get deluxe instead of premier when they're same price)
$40 for Deluxe Disc + $10 GC
$30 for Deluxe + $10 GC (but without state)

Looks like these prices with the giftcards are only for the next 23 hours.
Some Amazon pricing clarity...

Download-only plus $10 gift card

Home & Business(download) + State + $10 Gift Card: $64.99
Business(download) + $10 Gift Card: $104.99
Premier (download) + State + $10 Gift Card: $54.99
Deluxe(download) + State + $10 Gift Card: $39.99
Deluxe(download) + $10 Gift Card: $29.99

🆁🅶🅱
post tenebras lux
For not in my bow do I trust, nor can my sword save me.
Costco has the Premier for the same price ($54.99 after $15 reduction). You get the reduced price at checkout, no gift card necessary.
At Amazon you get a $10 gift card, so it's a better deal than Costco.
Premier (download) + State + $10 Gift Card: $54.99

They raised the price sometime between when I bought just after midnight Pacific Time and now.

It was $40 ($39.98) for that package, but now it's at $55.