Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I am speculating a draw down at 2.5% from my trad IRA, with 1% into roth as a rollover, and cash paying the tax and supplementing pensions

With about a 180k lumpsum payout, I am going with a Betterment account, with about 40% stocks to supplement pension income for my ongoing expenses. I am forecasting about 12k a year supplementing pension and SS when it kicks in from this account. I am budgeting for roughly your expected 4.5 with an expectation that I can manage money out of the trad IRA on a take only when things are up basis. My withdrawal above the Roth will go here and be pushed into my checking monthly.

I have tested that idea on spreadsheets, but it will be a little while until I can attest to it functionally. Actually one of my 'fetishes' is working on an envelope in the AM during coffee on the porch and going over various numeric scenarios.

Fortunately, there is a pension that can cover expenses if I cut back on leisure which I am budgeting at about 25k a year travel etc.

I'll keep a traditional emergency fund amount at about a year, but I will be drawing mthly into that account from the Betterment 'hold' fund, I expect to generate excess that allows for a car now and then and some home improvements.

Living small for a lot of years, working hard and simple tastes have left spouse and I comfortable, but I love talking about this stuff and hearing other's plans. For me, big plan is to die with a lot of toys and take good care making sure those around me I care about have a chance to chase their dreams without knowing I can afford them sloth if that's their dream, but I know accomplishment is so much more rewarding.

As far as mtg, I worked up the entire scenario and looking at a 6% Return with current interest over a 30 year period from just investing fairly conventionally and it yields a nice bucket of cash, and might actually go without ever having to hit the principle from the loan. with 3.5 for a 30yr and tax breaks it is a nice gamble to be honest, but again it is a why bother. But it is as close to a safe bet (assuming you can cover a big drop along the way of that 30 yrs if it happens early) as you get with any historic data return scenario
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.