No. of Recommendations: 1
I am sure these wines will be well kept. What kind of shape they are in by the time they get here is another story. Travel is hard on older wines. That 1990 Petrus should be pretty awesome.

Bet you didn't know, but DeGaul would have never put up with that nonsense. According to Jacque Pepin, who cooked for DeGaul, he was so scrupulous and frugal he would reimburse the state for his Sunday dinners 'cause he was on his own time.

Then there is Nixon. Ch. Margaux was his favorite wine. When he would cruise the Potomac in the Presidential yacht Sequoia (since sold), he would have one kind of OK wine for his guests and have the waiters secretly slip him Ch. Margaux, so he could sit there with a spit eating grin drinking the good stuff without his guests knowing.

But, you know what? I think being President of any country would totally suck and they should give anyone who takes on that job all they can eat in the perks department.

All that aside, wine has been a great investment in my lifetime.

I went on a wine tour of Spain last year. One of the people on the tour likes to play the auction game, but he's a seller not a buyer. Sold a set of one bottle each of Ch. Haut Brion, Ch. Lafitte Rotschild, Ch. Margaux and Ch. Latour from the 1961 vintage at one of the big auction houses. Some guy in Norway bought the lot for $14,000.

That worked so well, he decided to do a sale of every 1855 classified growth Bordeaux from the 1986 vintage. That's 80 plus wines... some great, some probably way past their sell buy date. Someone will buy them.

Me, I just did a swap of 3 bottles of 1982 Mouton Rotschild with a local wine store. Paid $36.91 a bottle for the wine and got $1250 a bottle in store credit. Not a bad return, and I pay no sales tax on the new bottles, which saves ten percent right there. Got something like 75 bottles of really good wine that I can probably drink in my lifetime,(which is more than I can say for the Mouton) plus I still have 4 bottles of the Mouton left. in case it comes around.

When in doubt, hedge!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.