No. of Recommendations: 0
I am surprised that more folks have not responded to this thread

I didn't respond sooner because I think my case is not of general interest and posting it is redundant. Here's a sketch of it anyway, since TMF's search function seems out of order today:
• age 60,
• retired for seven years,
• no dependents or heirs,
• no debts (house is paid off),
• (very) small corporate pension started, no COLA
• (rashly?) planning to draw social security starting at age 65 and 4 months,
• managing the retirement stash to hold both its purchasing power and my after-tax standard of living as level as possible for the next 35 years,
• that stash is over 30 years worth of my after-tax budget and mostly in an IRA
• only small withdrawals (around 2%) from the IRA in my 60's, then the legal minimum withdrawals thereafter
• 4% real return annually on assets invested chiefly in S&P 500 index fund
• 4% annual inflation
• 6% annual return (dividends and realized capital gains) in the taxable account, with the other 2% return being unrealized capital gains

Results of my predictions:

During my 60's, my income taxes will average 17% of my income and 0.6% of my financial assets per year; thereafter, my income taxes will average over 23% of my income and 2% of those assets per year. The tax jump comes from the required IRA withdrawals after age 70. The benefits of tax-deferred growth are so great that depleting my IRA faster would not benefit me given my determination not to erode the purchasing power of the retirement assets.

For this, I need a 2.95% withdrawal rate in my 60's and a 4.0% thereafter. So, I achieve independent results quite consistent with the safe withdrawal rate studies. That feels good.

Chips, planning to avoid estate taxes by bequeathing most of these assets to a tax-exempt foundation
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.