Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I appreciate your posts.

I can’t find a universal agreement, yet Alaska sea level rise has been prominent in the press this month.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 6
I asked Google: "Why is sea level falling in Alaska" and got this answer:

https://sealevelrise.org/states/alaska/

"Although ice melt from Alaska contributes to global sea level rise, sea levels near Alaska have been decreasing because the land beneath the state is rising.
Sea levels off Alaska’s coast have been decreasing because the land beneath Alaska is rising due to shifts in the Earth’s tectonic plates and a process called glacial isostatic adjustment.2 Heavy glacial ice that once covered Alaska during the Ice Age put immense pressure on the land, pushing the land down and compressing it. While most of this heavy ice retreated a long time ago and was replaced by newer, lighter ice, the land is still adjusting from its loss of pressure and rising back to its original form.
"
No. of Recommendations: 0
Well a website with the domain sealevelrise.org seems to be coming from a non biased position with no investment in their results.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Well a website with the domain sealevelrise.org seems to be coming from a non biased position with no investment in their results. - SaintPatrick1

----------------

I saw it differently. I looked at several states besides Alaska and found the site presented their information in a straightforward way. There wasn't any hint of alarmism and suggested actions seemed realistic and suitable for the local conditions. Most of all they were not preachy or political.
I appreciate your posts.

I can’t find a universal agreement, yet Alaska sea level rise has been prominent in the press this month.
Ben,

I have known about sea level decreasing in many parts of the world because of melting ice. You probably knew this fact also. The phenomena has been studied since the 1990s. Here is a good science based description:

28. July 2017

At first glance it's a paradox: While globally sea levels are rising, they’re sinking in Scandinavia, Greenland, Canada and Alaska. And also more recently in Iceland.

This is shown by an analysis of 365 measurement points over a period of 50 years, from 1961 to 2011. Some of the levels in the northern hemisphere are falling with astonishing speed: In certain areas of Alaska and Canada, the sea level falls by up to two centimetres per year. On the coasts of Norway, Sweden and Finland it falls by 0.7 centimetres per year. The explanation: It is not the sea level that’s falling, it is the land that’s rising. Because the glaciers are melting and the immense weight of their ice mass has disappeared. And that is why the land rises.

The phenomenon has long been known in Scandinavia. In Iceland, it’s new. In 2015, an international team of scientists published a study that showed that parts of the central highlands of Iceland rise by more than three centimetres per year. Recent measurements of the national land survey authorities show a rise by one and a half centimetres in certain coastal areas.

The reason: The glaciers that once covered approximately 11 per cent of Iceland’s land mass have shrunk dramatically in recent decades. It’s predicted that they’ll be gone completely in about 200 years time. Many countries will shrink due to climate change and the rise in sea levels. “Iceland will first grow,” says Páll Einarsson, professor at the Institute of Earth Sciences at the University of Iceland. Einarsson was one of the first who explored the phenomenon in the early 1990s. “We were stunned when we started with the measurements. Meanwhile, the land elevation is taking place at a rate much faster than we had anticipated.”

https://correctiv.org/en/latest-stories/sea-level-rising/201...

jaagu
No. of Recommendations: 3
At first glance it's a paradox: While globally sea levels are rising, they’re sinking in Scandinavia, Greenland, Canada and Alaska. And also more recently in Iceland.

So, sea levels are falling in Europe and North America. And sea levels are not rising in the Indian Ocean and the Pacific as indicated by the various islands that are not following alarmist orders to sink. So, it is not a paradox. The claim that Sea levels are rising is a fraud because satellites do not show sea levels rising and because data showing sea levels rising are fabricated.

In fact, sea levels are declining because Gaia is cooling for the last 10,000 years and with the exception of the Little Ice Age around the year 1650, this is the coldest period of the Holocene. https://i1.wp.com/www.rebresearch.com/blog/wp-content/upload...

-=Ajax=-