No. of Recommendations: 0
I asked a similar question yesterday and this is the response I got.

My wife is a US resident (Italian citizen) participating in her company's 401(k) plan. When/if we move to Italy will she still have access to her funds after the specified age 59 1/2 or does she forfeit that money not being an American citizen? Same question for IRA.

Your question boils down to taxes. I recommend you read this TMF article:

And then look up IRS Pub 519, U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens. You can download a copy from the IRS web site:

Finally, you should post your question on TMF's Tax Strategies discussion board. Your question isn't hard. You just need professional advice.

David Jacobs
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.