Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I assume that you disagree with most of the positions described above; for the record, I do as well. But neither of us is a philosopher-king, with the right to decide that our own views are the only "reasonable measure" of policy and that these views are therefore "unreasonable."

Pardon me, but I do happen to think bigotry, especially when it manifests itself in an effort to make one group of people the legal inferiors of another, is "unreasonable."

I mean, sure, that's just my opinion. Others may disagree and believe that science is all an atheistic lie, god hates homosexuals, and so forth. I'm sure somewhere someone thinks that the Katrina response was a rousing success, that Baghdad is no more dangerous than Detroit, and that people should be stoned to death for printing pictures of Muhammad. But I'm not about to pretend that all opinions are equal and those should be considered reasonable.

I assume that you disagree with most of the positions described above; for the record, I do as well. But neither of us is a philosopher-king, with the right to decide that our own views are the only "reasonable measure" of policy and that these views are therefore "unreasonable." If the outcome of the political process is that the views described above are favored by the majority of participants, then that's the legitimate outcome. Demeaning that process as merely "filling offices" doesn't do justice to that outcome.

I made no claim to philosopher-king status. It's a critique of the policies that the United States government has pursued for the past six years, based on the results of those policies. I can't see that there is much of a "reasonable" case to be made that these policies have been a success. And I certianly don't think they are in any way - any way whatsoever - vindicated by the fact that they came from democratic process. Clearly a democratic government is quite capable of pursuing policies which fail. The government can be be judged as a success or failure no matter how many people voted for it.

As for demeaning the democratic process, I didn't. I said that to measure success in terms of winning elections is facile and reveals some interesting truths about those who would use that as a yardstick of importance.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.