No. of Recommendations: 0
I assume the investments are in a tax deferred account. I'd do as others have suggested, but I'd start converting it over to a Roth IRA prior to age 70.5, when RMDs start. That will give him the option to manage income, reducing future RMD income and supplementing with Roth funds as needed.

Obviously, he should utilize the rest of his current tax bracket and he should look at his bracket with the RMDs. For example, I'm thinking RMDs will push us into the 25% tax bracket at some point. I'll be looking at converting to a Roth and maybe paying the 25% tax earlier, in order to avoid paying it over multiple years after age 70.5.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.