No. of Recommendations: 1
I assume you are past your 60 day rollover period? If not, you may still be able to get the money back in.

If not, the Roth IRA is probably your best option. If you haven't invested last year, you have about 15 days to get $5000 towards last year contribution. That would allow you to get the other $5000 into this year's.

If you have a company match available for the first x% in your current 401(k), you should at least do that amount there first.

If you can't get the full amount into the IRA + your match, then I'd prefer the 401(k) over taxable investments. That investment will grow tax-free, including dividend and capital gain distributions reinvested.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.