Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I assure you I'm not misunderstanding "probabilistic". You'll note I didn't say "random".

I know the fundamental postulates of QM, and I fully understand the probabilistic nature of QM that results. "Random" means there is an equal chance of any given outcome. That may be true of some given quantum system (e.g. a system may have a 50/50 chance of being "spin-up" or "spin-down"), but we cannot generalize that to all quantum systems.

"Probabilistic" is more than "uncertain". It means that something is governed by probabilities, or more specifically, probability distributions. Maybe Bose-Einstein, maybe Fermi-Dirac, or the many other distributions chemists often refer to as "orbitals", etc. Yes, that's "uncertain", but it's so much more than just that.

We have no data that indicates this poorly-defined "free will" can influence any of the probability distributions associated with any possible quantum states of the brain. So I have to say "I do not believe that". Your "subjective experience" is not valid data, not subject to independent verification. You must come up with something more substantial to demonstrate your position. Regardless of my opinion on the topic, you clearly haven't met any burden of proof for any of your "free will" assertions.

I don't want to strawman your position. You seem to be saying that QM shows there is no determinism, or at least there is more than just determinism, and that within that non-determinism resides "free will". Even though QM is in no way free, it is governed by probabilities. Then you assert that "free will" influences those probabilities, which still doesn't explain where free will comes from. So it resides in the indeterminancy of QM probabilities, and it influences them in some way (at least within the brain). That seems almost circular.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.