Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I attempted to file the 990N for our Kiwanis club. The online filing site advised that it was shut down for maintenance. Is that for the duration of the govt shutdown?

No. It's down for it's annual maintenance just before tax season. Electronic filing for individuals is currently scheduled to reopen on January 28. Business e-filing (which likely includes 990 returns) usually has a different date - one I do not track since I only prepare a couple of business returns, and the clients are never ready early enough to worry about it.

--Peter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
I attempted to file the 990N for our Kiwanis club. The online filing site advised that it was shut down for maintenance. Is that for the duration of the govt shutdown?

No. It's down for it's annual maintenance just before tax season. Electronic filing for individuals is currently scheduled to reopen on January 28. Business e-filing (which likely includes 990 returns) usually has a different date - one I do not track since I only prepare a couple of business returns, and the clients are never ready early enough to worry about it.

--Peter
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am not 100% sure but I thought a few years ago they stopped accepting 990N on paper and they had to be filed electronically.
Electronic filing for individuals is currently scheduled to reopen on January 28.

But they always start testing earlier than the official start date. We've had half a dozen returns from out office accepted this week so far.
But they always start testing earlier than the official start date. We've had half a dozen returns from out office accepted this week so far.

Sshhhh. Quiet. You’re giving away our trade secrets! ;)

—Peter

PS Do you know when the business filing will open? That would help the OP.
No. of Recommendations: 5
Haven't heard anything about business filing, but the only business returns I do now are Schedule C Sole Props so I wouldn't have been paying attention.

This is probably going to be my final tax season. Told my manager that every year they make a big deal about Joe Tax Preparer who is 93 years old and still comes in 3 days a week to do his regular clients tax returns and their children, grand children and now great grand children. I don't want to be that person.
I am not 100% sure but I thought a few years ago they stopped accepting 990N on paper and they had to be filed electronically.
=====================================
Yes, they have to be filed electronically, and it's actually through a different website, as I recall. (I'm retired now.) And it's not even like filing a tax return with any numbers. It's just the annual declaration that your exempt org. had gross receipts low enough to be exempt from filing the 990 series return. That process could probably be maintained indefinitely, no matter how long the shutdown takes.

Bill
No. of Recommendations: 3
This is probably going to be my final tax season. Told my manager that every year they make a big deal about Joe Tax Preparer who is 93 years old and still comes in 3 days a week to do his regular clients tax returns and their children, grand children and now great grand children. I don't want to be that person.
===============================
Congratulations. A last tax season is a wonderful thing. I wouldn't want to be that person either, even though a reduced workload like that sounds like a luxury. But that's one reason I decided to make a clean break when I retired in October 2015. My thoughts were:

1. I'd seen other guys try to phase out gradually, working part-time or seasonally, and it didn't work out well. Their performance and capabilities went downhill quickly, by not keeping up with developments year-round, both in tax law updates and firm developments. (Software changes, procedures, etc.)

2. As I got older, the stress of tax season got to me, more and more. I was slightly flattered when I gave notice of my impending retirement, (about 9 months in advance), and they asked me if I'd just want to work during tax season, but I said no, because:
(a)Why would I want to work just during the worst part of the year, and not qualify for the employee benefits that I'd get for staying around the other 8 months?
(b) They had a staff shortage at the time, and they had hired some seasonal staff through a temp. staffing firm, and I wanted them to know that if they found someone they wanted to hire as a regular employee, that I wouldn't be there next year.
(c) See item 1.

Bill
Thanks. I've mostly been part time seasonal although worked part time off season for several years and taught some required Continuing Ed classes also. The renewal of my EA is in process and I have enough CE hours to renew my Oregon Consultant license in May. I plan to do enough CE online in May and June to renew that again in 2020. After that, we'll see. I'll miss some of my clients and the people I work with but not the company.
Told my manager that every year they make a big deal about Joe Tax Preparer who is 93 years old and still comes in 3 days a week to do his regular clients tax returns and their children, grand children and now great grand children.

He is outliving most of his clients. Every year he will have less regular clients.
Most Kiwanis clubs are 501(c)4 and have Oct 1-Sep 30 fiscal year. Hence, 990Ns are due Feb 15.
https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/annual-electronic-...

Form 990-N filing due date

Form 990-N is due every year by the 15th day of the 5th month after the close of your tax year. You cannot file the e-Postcard until after your tax year ends.
Example: If your tax year ended on December 31, the e-Postcard is due May 15 of the following year. If the due date falls on a Saturday, Sunday, or legal holiday, the due date is the next business day.
If your 990-N is late, the IRS will send a reminder notice to the last address we received.
While there is no penalty assessment for filing Form 990-N late, organizations that fail to file required Forms 990, 990-EZ or 990-N for three consecutive years will automatically lose their tax-exempt status. Revocation of the organization’s tax-exempt status will happen on the filing due date of the third consecutively-missed year. Watch this IRS YouTube presentation for more information.