Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I avoid international tax issues in my practice, but I do know that a US citizen is taxed on their worldwide income. So you will have to look at all of your income, not just the earnings on your home sale proceeds.

You also mention that you are married to a Dutch citizen. I don't know how that will impact your tax situation, but I'm pretty sure it will have some impact. I'd look for a tax advisor (either in the US or Holland) that is familiar with both tax systems. That person won't be cheap, but they should keep you from a heap of troubles.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.