Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I been donating food items that have been non perisable to the company I work for Christmas in July food drive. I have register receipts for several hundred dollars worth of food donated. I like to go further out and spend because there's a serious need at the food banks and the shelves at the food bank are quite empty. Can I deduct this when itemizing my taxes?

Yes. If your non-cash donations total more than $500, you will also need to file Form 8283 detailing what, when, to whom, how much, and how value was determined. In your case, the value would be easy to come up with -- just add up the register receipts for the food you've donated.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.