No. of Recommendations: 1
I believe Fidelity has areas on their web site that you can learn about various financial vehicles in which you can invest.

If you live near one of their Investor Centers I would urge you to take advantage of their live classes offered free at these centers. If after learning more from the the Fidelity web site or their Investor Center you still feel your current broker could do a better job you could move your money at that time.

I, myself, am a professional skeptic and would be concerned about a brokers offer to pay transfer fees to his new employer, afterall you don't get something for nothing. My concern here would be that the trading fees are higher than at Fidelity and perhaps could more frequent costing you more in the long run.

I also prefer Vanguard over Fidelity, but each of these large financial companies have areas within their organizations in which you can learn more about your assets and ask informed questions instead of possibly being dictated to by a financial professional. Just remember that even though a broker may offer you financial advice you do not have to take their advice as the final decision is yours how you want your assets to be invested.

My mother was concerned about her limited retirement assets. I convinced her to take a more active role in deciding what was best for her financial future. Upon reading more about her options we were able to discuss her options as informed consumers amongst ourselves and with the Fidelity advisor when it was time to come up with her current asset allocation. She felt more comfortable because she understood what the advisor was taking about when he started talking about: allocations, risk, harvest rates etc. He was pleased beacuse he knew here was a woman and her son who had done some homework, had questions and sought advice. While we didn't do each and everything he suggested he understood our reasons for our objections. After our first visit my mother was surprised at how young this specific investment adviser was. He spoke directly to her since it was her money we were there to discuss even though I defintely have more financial knoweldge.

DMyers8985
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.