Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
i believe I would disagree with one point. It does not matter whether you violate local law to the IRS. For instance, if you sell marijuana for profit, you are still supposed to report the income on schedule C just like any other entrepreneur. On the other hand the IRS recognizes local property law, i.e. Community property states handle some things differently from the others and then there is common law marriages, all of which are recognized by the IRS if local law dictates. The question here though is whether the live in meets the 5 tests. It sounds like she does.

Joe Varga
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.