Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I believe if you're in a qualified grad program, the loans will go into deferment.

jmc, I don't think the program is the issue (i mean, it has to be a recognized institution of higher learning as defined by the gov't, so that is actually a *pretty* wide range). What is at issue is the student's status. You must go at least part-time. That is often defined by the schools, although I am sure the gov't has a definition as well.

At my school, part time undergrad is 6 credit hours (eg 2 undergrad classes). I *think* part time grad may actually be 9 hours (makes NO sense whatsoever.) I'm not 100% sure on this, but I know that a number of our grad students "have to" take 3 grad classes to qualify--although that may be for full-time financial aid. I don't know specifics; I try not to learn too much about it if I don't need to know about it.

As almost everyone on this board knows, I am taking 6 undergrad credits--either 2 or 3 classes depending on what I take per semester--to slap that 7.75% interest into deferrment. I figure I paid for it with my fed taxes this year.

debt payoff date: 2/15/08 (39th birthday? why, 2/21/08 thank you very much!)
Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.