Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I believe many could have timed an exit on QCOM better than they did.

True, but Gorilla Gaming is a long-term buy-and-hold strategy, not a timing strategy. I certainly could have sold my Qualcomm in early January. I had a strong opinion that the stock was subject mostly to momentum players at the time. I ignored the analyst's expectation of the $1000 pre-split price target, mostly for reasons explained very well in the March 6 Forbes article about analysts.

Why didn't I sell?

Because it's not my strategy to sell every time I think a Gorilla is wildly over valued as I thought Qualcomm and the Naz were at the time. The reason it's not my strategy is because I would then have to determine an entry point to get back into the stock, which becomes yet another timing issue. Timing issues can be messed up big-time by an unexpected press release for the good or the bad. So I stick to long-term Gorilla Gaming and simply hold onto Gorillas until I see a threating discontinuing innovation or a better tornado opportunity in an infant Gorilla.

Having said all that, I do believe investors would be wise to take various factors into account before deciding which Gorillas and candidates to purchase: market opportunity (size), where the product is in the adoption life cycle, and valuation. If I were to find two Gorillas that were fundamentally equal in the first two categories but vastly different in the valuation category, I would certainly go for the lower valuation. However, it's unlikely to find such an easy decision-making scenario.

--Mike Buckley

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.