Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
I believe that healthy children can weather mumps and measles with a minimum of risk.

Just a word about the risks of MMR. Generally, otherwise healthy children won't suffer long term from measles, mumps, or rubella. However it can be extremely dangerous for the fetus if a woman contracts rubella while pregnant.

After I delivered DD, my titers were checked and I was not sufficiently immune to rubella, so I got an MMR booster shot. Even though DD was vaccinated on schedule, she got rubella when she was a little over a year and a half. Not a bad case, and if that were my only experience with rubella, I would probably think it's not a big deal and wonder why everyone worries so much about vaccinating. However I also happened to be 11 weeks pregnant, which is exactly when it is most risky to contract rubella. Had I not been re-vaccinated, there is a good chance I would have lost that pregnancy. If I hadn't lost that pregnancy, there is a high likelihood that my baby would have been born with a constellation of severe birth defects.

Again, vaccinating is not a risk free proposition, but neither is choosing not to vaccinate.

DEG

P.S. If it's been more than 5 years, go get a new DTaP vaccine. While the pertussis cough is just annoying to healthy adults, it is deadly to infants too young to have received the vaccination.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.