Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I believe the DNA company that got investigated is “23 and Me.” Someone gave me a gift of a package from them. To use the company, you spit into a vial and send it in to them. I've only ever used the ancestry (or "roots") part, where they trace your genetic roots back thousands of years – way before Columbus, and widespread ocean-crossing traffic. In my own case, I already knew that I had three grandparents who came from Ireland -- and one of the roots went back there. The other grandparent came from Greece, and that was included in one of the general areas they also gave. So, on that, they seemed to make sense. But I never participated in the stuff about health, predisposition to various diseases, etc. That stuff seemed too vague to me, and to depend on a lot of other-than-genetic factors. Plus, what difference is it going to make to your life if you find out that people who have some genetic input like yours are 12% more likely to get disease X than a random member of the population?

culcha
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.