No. of Recommendations: 1
OK, so I don't want to pay the government, but I sure don't expect to get back more than I'm allowed.

See, my daughter trusted me to e-file her taxes. Great, I got a college degree (I'm smart enough to let my accountant do MY taxes).Anyway, I went and claimed the deduction allowed for a regular IRA. Trouble is, she has a Roth.

Now I have to file an amended return.

Downloaded a 1040x. It's staring me back from my desk. Can I find where to fix this screw-up on this form? No way. College degree ain't helping here.

Got any advice? Or do I need to bring my accountant in on this one?

Heaven forbid.I don't want to blow it twice...

Normlin

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
You tripped once because you had no guidance, walk not alone.

It's accountant time..

MEG
Have you asked this question on the Tax Board?
http://boards.fool.com/Messages.asp?mid=22218088&bid=100155

Barbara
OK, so I don't want to pay the government, but I sure don't expect to get back more than I'm allowed.

See, my daughter trusted me to e-file her taxes. Great, I got a college degree (I'm smart enough to let my accountant do MY taxes).Anyway, I went and claimed the deduction allowed for a regular IRA. Trouble is, she has a Roth.

Now I have to file an amended return.

Downloaded a 1040x. It's staring me back from my desk. Can I find where to fix this screw-up on this form? No way. College degree ain't helping here.

Got any advice? Or do I need to bring my accountant in on this one?

Heaven forbid.I don't want to blow it twice...

-------------------

Have you thought about buying a Tax-Software Program like Turbo Tax? I use it every year and think a great deal of it.

Good luck...

Bill
I say bluff and see if tio Sam calls. Even if they do, what are the intrest and penalties, not much. It'll add some excitement to your life.

Hey, did the Bush admin let a long series of errors and screw ups turn them back. No. In fact if you file an amended return I suggest you invent a few bogus deductions just to make it worth your while.

BTW, your daughter should be doing her own taxes. Buy her a copy of turbo tax and let her do yours, after she mows the lawn, paints the porch and harvests the winter wheat.
Normlin,

I screwed up my partner's taxes last year. I called the IRS and she asked me if I had by chance used TurboTax ! When I said yes, she said to use the 1040x from TurboTax. It filled out most of the form for me, I just had to enter my error.

My error was that I entered the W2 information wrong. Instead of selecting contribtution for a tax deferred retirement plan I selected untaxed tip income. Oops.

So one suggestion is to buy TurboTax, enter her taxes error and all, then use the 1040x form to correct the problem.

I really like using TurboTax. I think the hard part of doing taxes is getting all the information together, especially during years that I've sold stock. Also, by the time I finish doing our taxes I am totally in the mood to see where all our after tax money went. So I track my spending by category then project a budget for the next year and up our savings accordingly. I'm not sure if I would do that if I sent the taxes in for someone else to do them for us.

Best regards,

-helen

Well, it looks like you took Barbara's advice and went to the tax board. In case anyone is interested, here is a consise answer on exactly how to fill out the 1040x:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22225058

-helen