No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello folks -

I am also a regular purchaser of government I-bonds, and I have recently set aside some more money that I would like to put in I-Bonds. My question is: I know that the interest rate and the base rate are both set every six months, and that those rates will change this October. Right now, the rate is 5.92 (3.00 + 2.92). What does everyone think about what the rate will be in October? I know that the base rate for these bonds used to be 3.40% before they dropped it down to 3%. Might they drop the base rate again because the government is so short on cash? Or might they raise it in order to encourage people to buy more of their bonds? I also know that inflation is dormant right now, which is bad for the rates on the bonds, but I also know that periods of war tend to be inflationary. Might this fact help the bonds? And finally, if anyone has a prediction as to what the rate will be come it's change in October, I'd much appreciate it.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if I should buy more I-Bonds now, or if I should wait till October.

Thanks in advance
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.