Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I borrowed about 90K from my mom to buy a rental house through my LLC. I filed a mortgage through the courthouse. (Different states). I make monthly payments automatically (4% interest). When she dies the remainder of the debt becomes part of my inheritance. She has multiple land contracts that will be divided between siblings. Plus real estate and cash. Trust set up.

Is there anything I need to do now? Anything that might bite me in the butt?

=================================
You indicate that the trust is set up. Is it funded, i.e., does it actually own the assets you list? It probably should, especially the real estate and land contracts. If your mother dies with those things in her own name, that is the sort of thing that can make probate a long drawn-out affair.

If not, she should discuss that with her lawyer who did the trust.

Bill
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.