Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I bought a bit of GLBE on today's down day. Still too expensive, but either it races up or I am able to accumulate over time. Like UPST, I like these due to the (somewhat) lower mkt cap compared to other top growth names.

I also surprised myself by buying small amount of SNAP.
It ran hard from last Fall after being basically flat for 3 years.
Always wondered if it would be a Facebook replacement, but Snap still refers to itself as a "camera company".

However, SNAP, via their own metrics, declares that 75% of 13-30 year olds (GenZ and Millennials) use their product. This is a case where the david lynch method of investing in what you know or can see works against me. My gamer kids dont seem to care about Snap, so I wondered if their generation really was using it.

They had 65%+ growth in April ER, so that is strong.
They are consumer-facing, and the largest mkt caps in tech are all consumer-facing (Microsoft is both consumer and corp).

AR is a hot topic, and I was on NVDA bandwagon back in 2015/2016 because of VR and self-driving cars, so I get this topic. The key here is a ton of advertising (think: monetization) relationships SNAP has now set up, and they are making original content too (Ryan Reynolds, etc...)

I think, like all stocks right now it seems, that they are overpriced. However, a few different services and/or fintwit folks I follow seem to like SNAP right now, so I am rolling with SNAP, UPST, and GLBE in case:

1. market just keeps charging upwards, valuations be damned, and heads to a blowoff top.
2. the allocations are low enough that if market collapses I can buy more and accumulate without breaking a sweat. (Cash is near 60% still)

I should note that after selling small portion of SPG, I finally have some cash in my taxable account. When you see me buy something in that account, it usually signals my highest confidence, as I want to ideally hold that for a 12-month period for long-term cap gains. So I tend to trade more with nontaxable/401k account.

Anyway - I am continuing to try and scrape up a few more nickels and maybe even a quarter or two here and there, to add to the cash hoard. Let's see what the Summer bring!

Final thought: VYGVF - will ride until I think crypto is about to collapse again. I would think Voyager should spike if the kids all think it is safe to buy crypto and never get real jobs again. The challenge with Voyager is I think their users trade more of the alt coins, which are harder hit (my sense of it) than BTC or ETH or LINK. Either way, VYGVF is on a short leash, meant to net me a small gain to add to cash pile.

Doom
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.