No. of Recommendations: 0
I calculate you need about 7.8% return on your $300K to make up the shortfall in your mother's income. You should be able to come close with a laddered maturity bond portfolio in investment grade bonds. The $23K or so income would incur some income taxes that are not included in the 7.8%, so you would expect to slowly work down your principle covering them, but the tax bill should be about 15% or $3.5K/yr. Your funds should last for well over 30 yrs. Rising costs of your mother's care are probably a greater concern.

To set up a corporate bond portfolio, see the trust department at your bank, a broker, or a financial planner.

If the bonds are investment grade, rated A or better, your risk is minimal. You can get higher yield, but then you take a risk of investment loss.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.