Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
I can accept that I "gave myself" this disease by overeating, but does that mean I'm definitely doomed to eventually have all these horrible problems?

You didn't give yourself the disease. Unfortunately, you had the potential in you all the time. You may have been genetically predisposed, especially if there is a history of diabetes in your family. In my case, I think that stress was a strong factor in that I was really not enjoying my job at the time I was diagnosed and there were other factors in my personal life. There are people who overeat and have normal blood glucose processes and insulin levels. And there are diabetics who always thought they had maintained a healthy diet.

While it is true that Type II diabetes is a degenerative disease, with proper diet, exercise and when necessary, medication, we can stave off the effects. Personally, my plan is to never have heart disease, retinopathy, kidney disease, amputation or any other symptom resulting from the metabolic imbalance in my biology. I do not consider myself doomed at all. It is a life long challenge that I will take day by day and when the rules change, I will adapt with a vengeance.

Fuskie
Who decided long ago that there was nothing to be gained by pessimism...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.