Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I can assure you that if you did not get a check from a rollover, then you very likely paid a wire fee.

Not necessarily. Since at least 1996 (and probably long before), Fidelity has had a policy that if you roll a 401(k) managed by Fidelity into an IRA held at Fidelity, it will not only be free to open the IRA, with little/no paperwork (your verbal consent is recorded), they will waive the $50 fee for closing a 401(k) account that seems to be a standard part of their 401(k) administration package that employers sign up for. I suspect other 401(k) administrators have similar marketing pushes to keep the 401(k) assets under their management in IRAs, but Fidelity seems to be especially good at it.

In 1996 (and each time since), I still chose to roll my Fidelity 401(k) into my Vanguard IRA. I had to fill out paperwork, pay the $50 fee, get a physical check made out to "Vanguard, FBO aj485" in the mail, and turn around and mail the check to Vanguard. I continued to do so with every Fidelity administered 401(k) where I left that job. There were 5, so I paid $250 and 5 stamps, and took probably 10 hours of time to close my 401(k) accounts.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.