No. of Recommendations: 5
I can explain what set everyone off. In the post you responded to I mentioned several different ways people could get into debt. When you responded, you put medical care in the exact same category as furnishing a house.

Most of us don't put them in the same category, because furnishing a house is something that can be delayed until you have the money for it, so going into debt for it is unnecessary debt. Medical costs, particularly the crucial kind that can't be delayed, might be termed a necessary debt, and most of us consider the two as being very different. We were upset at what was perceived as callous disregard for something that can be a life-or-death matter.

Various items on an office desk may be grouped in several different ways, depending on what property you are identifying. If you are identifying the ability to attach/hold papers, then you might group together the stapler, the paper clips and the push-pins. If you're identifying by size and weight, then the stapler will be in a very different sub-set along with the hole punch and the electric pencil sharpener. You might group them according to color, or cost, or frequency of use, or whatever other criteria you might come up with.

You lumped medical costs and home furnishings together as ways people could get into debt, and I grouped them together as things that might be above one's means. Why is my grouping hurtful and your is not? I simply grouped by a different property.

I don't think I implied in any way, shape or form that I was grouping medical costs with home furnishings according to need, according to emotional worth, according to value obtained, or according to any other metric than whether they were affordable or not.

I do not have a callous disregard for necessary medical treatments. I do not think less of anybody who gets them even if they are unaffordable. I do not group them along with home furnishing in any way other than the one I specifically posted.

So I think I do understand what set everybody off. I failed to predict that everybody was going to infer those types of associations even though I did not imply them. My failure has lead to hurt feelings, and for that I regret ever posting in the first place. I certainly wasn't trying to be hurtful at all. I'm really ashamed that Booa felt so much personal pain over it.

xtn
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.