Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I can in theory get social security based on my deceased ex-wife's record.

Would you be better off waiting and getting SS based on your own earnings? There was a time you could do both, at least with living spouses. But the "file and suspend" loophole has closed (I am unfortunately just a tad too young to be grandfathered in), because the concept is that for SS you should collect either on your spouse's record or your own, but not both. Not sure what the story is with exes, or deceased exes, just a heads-up to double-check before you pull the trigger.

You don't have to keep working to use your own record. DH & I are both retired, and living off other income while we wait several years to collect SS. Actuarially it's the same whether you collect sooner (lower monthly payout for more months) or later (higher monthly payout for fewer months), but we personally are gambling we'll be alive and healthy longer than average, in which case delaying collecting SS will be be to our advantage. YMMV.
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.