Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 5
I can not imagine FB, Amazon, or Google starting their own chip fab company.

It is certainly a thing they *could* do. But it would end up being far more expensive than just outsourcing that to the likes of Intel, AMD, Nvidia, ARM, etc.

I suppose a lot of it has to do with what their goal is in creating a chip fab unit. Is it to compete in the open market with those companies? Probably not. Is it because they think they can lower their own costs by doing so? Probably. Google builds it's own servers and network hardware. But I'm guessing they provide specs to a white box vendor that builds those things for them. Same with Amazon, and probably FB.

I think getting into hardware production at any level is way too far afield for any of these companies, all of which on the surface have little focus in what they do (but under the covers are in fact very, very focused).

And as you pointed out, if AMD can't even compete with Nvidia, never mind their arch-nemesis Intel, what hope do FB, Google, or Amazon have of doing so when it's not even close to their core focus? If anyone was going to take on Nvidia, it would be Apple. They have already bought various chip companies and over time swapped out 3rd party products for their own. And they recently announced they're moving their laptops away from Intel for another of their own designs.

--
Paul
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.