Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I can only estimate the capital gain because I don't know what we are actually going to get from the sale of this house. Being conservative, we believe we will have a total taxable amount of approximately 30000. I am not sure if we will fall into the 10% capital gains or 20% because we have had a lot of changes this year. 1. We had a baby. 2. We are having money taken out of my paycheck for Dependant Care Assistance, so that lowers my taxable income. So we might fall into the 10% capital gains tax (hopefully!). So we will either be paying around 3000 or around 6000 in capital gains tax. Both amounts are higher than 1 month's mortgage.

I just wish the sellers would be more flexible with us! Any suggestions on how to get them to work with us? I feel like we don't have any leverage at all to get them to come down on the price or to push out the move-in date.

We do not have a buyer for our house yet, it is not even on the market but will be in the next week. Houses in my area go quickly, so I am not worried about that, especially since the purchase of the new house is contingent on the sale of this one.

Thanks again,
Carrie

Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.