No. of Recommendations: 1
I can't rewind and see if the same choice is made. I have no reason to believe it would be given identical preconditions. Which strongly implies deterministic outcomes.

First off I don't understand your statement. I assume you are trying to say that determinism means that the same preconditions will give the same outcome. But you already know that isn't true in our probabilistic quantum reality. Rewind and sometimes Schrodinger's cat is purring and sometimes it is dead.

But what is the alternative to free will? Your "no free will" is human decision making so complex with so many contributing factors that you can't empirically distinguish it from free will. So it seems you are making a distinction without a difference. This is why you have stated that for everyday living when you vote, deal with colleagues, discipline a child, or serve on a jury you assume people have free will. You assume free will for all practical purposes, which means you doubt free will only when you are being impractical.

I will continue to be interested in data, but thus far it's not sufficient to close the door on determinism, imo...I can be a skeptic in both directions on will, but at the moment the balance tips towards determinism, imo.

If you believe that random events occur and in quantum uncertainty then determinism is already compromised. Those factors alone means that if you replayed the Big Bang you would not end up with the same universe. If you replayed life on earth you would not end up with the same set of species. So starting with the same conditions does not mean you get the same result. What does that do to your concept of determinism? The concept of determinism has changed a great deal since Newton's Principia.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.