Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I can't believe that Rowling is trying to play to the American audience more than to British audience. If there is any reference in the first five books to the United States at all, I missed it.

Agreed. I can only think of one reference to American and I believe it involved Quidditch. It is obvious she is not trying to focus more on an American audience, but I still she made what could be references to American slavery. But, because I am not fully aware of British history and culture it is entirely possible that she is refering to British slavery and I, a pompus American, assumed she was talking about my country! :)

Anyway, I think that Rowling wants to resolve the house elf issue, and the rest of her work seems so well planned out that I'm confident she will work it out. I don't think Rowling would have included their story if she didn't have a greater purpose for them. I'm frustrated because I wanted it to be "fixed" now, as in book 5! :)

Hermione is being a bit blind (like you said, she could try talking to the house elfs!) but I don't think that makes her less intelligent, just more human. She has taken up a cause she feel passionate about, which is what a lot of teenagers do.

laura
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.