Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I can't believe the error I made at the beginning of my response. Any taxable scholarship income goes on the student's return.

Thanks for taking the time to post the correction. The student's return makes more sense to me, but I've seen other cases where the actual rules go contrary to what makes sense to me.

I can see some hard conversations down the road about finding those college records. With luck, about half the clients will be able to do that.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.