No. of Recommendations: 0
I can't comment on those three specific companies, but I would put forth two general points:

- One, it is very hard to tell whether a business model will last for 20 years. I can't tell for anything I invest in despite much research and sweat on my part. Moreover, I don't really care. If you can see your way for 5 years, that's about all you can hope for. Beyond that, anyone who claims to know what is going to happen is either fooling themselves or trying to fool you.

- You are a looong way from retirement. Why not invest in companies that might actually be able to post some longer term growth? If you invest in large companies, you are implicitly passing up on growth, as it is difficult or impossible for large companies to grow quickly. How many more starbucks do you really think can be built before they run into McDonald's problem? This is the reason I invest in smaller companies: they could quadruple their size and still make up a small percentage of their overall market. This is where the biggest gains come from, and if you are young and can handle the risk, it is worth taking a shot.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.