Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I can't comment on whether or not contribution to the 529 plan is a gift to you.

It might be reasonable to open a separate plan with them or your son as the owner.

Depositing funds is the easy part. The Fidelity form at the link below should be all that is needed.

Since the end of year is approaching, gift limits might not be a concern. Each of your parents can gift the annual limit of $13,000 to you (annual total $26,000) and if you are married to your spouse (annual total of $52,000).
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.