Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm new to this investment stuff. I invested in two companies (eeln - jade) which both reported increased earnings, but their stocks plumeted. Too many more mistake like this (whatever they were) will put me out of the trading game. Anyone know why this happened?

In addition, is there a TMF portfolio of their top 10 stocks or something to base a portfolio on? I would like to invest money without letting my personal feelings or excitement get in the way. This way I could sell when they say, and buy what they say.

This site has been difficult for me to find info and advice I'm looking for. Do most of you find this site helpful? If so, how does it affect your investing decisions - and what do you find the most helpful?
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
meast1,

Good luck your journey into investing. It can be frustrating, and it can be fascinating, but your results will generally depend on how much time and effort you're going to put into it.

I won't comment on the companies you've already invested in, because I don't know anything about them. However, you've probably started in a good spot, this being the "value investing" message board.

This website offers some very interesting tools, the best of which is "Fool's School", which you can access from the top of the home page or:

http://www.fool.com/school.htm?ref=G02A06

Let me also suggest a couple of books that can give you a very good introduction to investing.

"One Up on Wall Street" by Peter Lynch -- a well regarded investment manager gives an enthusiastic introduction to investing -- especially knowing what you're investing in.

"The Intelligent Investor" by Benjamin Graham. It's an older book, it may look to be a little daunting, but it's well worth it. The ideas he set forth in the first half of the 20th century still hold true today, about finding what a company is worth and not overpaying for it. (Some call this -- buying a dollar for .50 cents.)

Good luck and don't get frustrated on your first time out, investing is a lifelong pursuit.

-Steve
No. of Recommendations: 1
some of the best advice and discussions are on the Berkshire Hatahaway board on the Motley Fools, check it out and read the messages on it and then learn from it.

Go to
www.berkshirehathaway.com
and read the "chairmans letters" the older ones are more informative in my opinion because the company was much smaller at that time.
Learn your area of expertise, and stay in it .
Most of the "experts" are only "salesmen" after a commission so learn to do your own due diligence. You are the only one who will look out for you.
do a lot of reading and read things you disagree with as sometimes you can pick up a real gem of an idea.
good luck and remember all of us had to start out at one time

No. of Recommendations: 6
hello meast1,

I can tell you what I tell my friends and family.

1) read Peter Lynch's books,
2) read Warren Buffett's annual letters at www.berkshirehathaway.com,
3) read Ben Graham's books,
4) take a few accounting classes or read a few basic accounting
textbooks,
5) do homework on mutual funds or stocks prior to purchase; most
people want to jump right - which is good and will occur regardless
of when you buy/sell funds/stocks - but put the odds in your favor
by reading,
6) read the "Wall Street Journal" on a daily basis,
7) don't ever use a "buy and hold" a stock; "buy and do your homework"
is the appropriate strategy,
8) go to the library and become - as Dreyfus/Murray said "take baby
steps" - familiar with Value Line for stocks and Morningstar for
funds
9) build up your knowlege by listening to stock's conference calls,
10) become familiar with 10Ks and 10Qs (SEC filings).

If a person isn't willing to do their homework on stock holdings, then I recommend buying a mutual fund.