Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi -- can you guys help me get some info?

Background

Back in 2001 I asked for a deferment on my Student Loans, which was granted but not for as long as I thought. I've just discovered that in fact that I've been in default for 2 years!!

I only found out when my Aunt got a call from someone...she emailed me their telephone number which I rang. I spoke to a guy who said he was the Dept of Education (I later found out that he worked for GC Services). He told me I was in default and either had to pay the full amount there & then or go on the Rehabilitation Program. Where I make a down payment of $200 and then make 12 monthly payments of $160.

The trouble is I've been out of work since October. I have no income, no savings or assets. I don't even have a credit card or a bank account.....I live with my boyfriend who has been supporting me while I look for work. The guy said he'd ring back and that I'd have to get a bank account. However, when I rang the Dept of Ed to get more info...they said that I'd never spoken to them...but to GC Services!?!

Later another guy from GC Services rang. He told me that when I begin making payments "fee's" will be added to the balance of my loan. But he could not tell me the amount of the fees. I need to know what that amount is -- I've heard horror stories of 18% being tacked on to the total. Also he said he could not send me written details of this Rehabilitation Program just a paper to sign saying yes i want this....what am I getting myself into??

I don't want to pay a collection agency. What I really want is deferment on my loans until I get another job.

My Questions :

1) Who is better to pay DoE or GC Services?

2) I haven't committed to anything (with GC) can you switch back to DoE? (for them to deal with loan).

3) Are they (DoE or GC Services) not required to give written details of the payment schemes and their effects, before you commit to them?

4) What other options are available to me?

6) Are there any independent organisations that can give me advice on student loans?

7) If I file for bankruptcy, will this cover Student Loans?

8) Currently I am unemployed, without assets or savings (I'm supported by fiancée) can this not be taken in account? (i.e. is not further "hardship" deferment possible?)

9) As I cannot pay what kind legal action can the DoE or GC services take against me?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.