Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I changed my mind on the huevos rancheros. I run hot & cold on eggs. So I decided to fix pasta fa gioli, or pasta and beans. With vegetables. It's on the stove right now...

Saute 2-3 slices chopped bacon (thick cut is good here), then add some olive oil, a chopped onion, 6 chopped garlic cloves, 4-5 chopped carrots, 2-3 chopped celery, a bunch of chopped greens (fresh kale, spinach, chard, or collards--or thawed frozen chopped greens), a can of cannelini or navy beans (plain, not baked beans!), stir in 2-3 cups chicken or other broth, 1-2 cups diced tomatoes or tomato puree, 2-3 stems rosemary, several stems thyme, a couple bay leaves, and a parmesan or romano rind (if you don;t have one, just serve w/grated cheese), and cook until veggies are very soft (10 minutes in an Instant Pot, which I also used for the sauteeing part).

Meanwhile boil a box of small pasta such as little shells. Stir together and serve with red pepper flakes and/or chopped parsley. Italian bread for dipping is authentic, but this meal is more than carby enough ;-)

Ah, comfort food!
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.