Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I checked that to see if my kids need to file, and I didn't see the particular instance that effects my son. He has less than the income needed that requires filing, but he had both federal and state taxes withheld, rather inconsistently, and I assume he needs to file his own taxes to get that money back.

Yes, he does.

If he anticipates he'll be in the same situation for 2008, he can use the "Exempt" classification on his W-4(s) to avoid this problem.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.