Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 4
I contributed 9% of my paycheck to my job's 401K and contributed the max alloweble to my roth Ira. can I take a deduction from both, or is my job's income already adjusted to show for the 401K contribution?

Actually, you can take a deduction for neither.

Your W-2 should already show the 401(k) contribution. Look at Boxes 1 and 5 on your W-2. The amount in Box 5 should be larger than the amount in Box 1 by the amount you contributed to your 401(k), plus any other pre-tax deductions you had, like insurance premiums. The amount in Box 1 is what goes onto your 1040, so the income is already adjusted for your 401(k) contributions.

As for the Roth IRA, your contribution is not tax deductible. You pay taxes on the amount contributed now, so that you get tax-free withdrawals in the future, providing your withdrawals meet the requirements.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.