Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I contributed to 2012 IRA (in Jan 2013) and after finishing the taxes realized I cannot deduct the amount from my taxes due to high AGI. I withdrew the money from my IRA.What forms do I have to file with IRS?I didnt receive any forms from my financial institute and was told I will receive the 1099-R in Jan 2014
Well, if you had asked first, you might have been advised that you could just leave the money there, and classify it as a nondeductible IRA. And you also could have converted the account to a Roth IRA, regardless of your income. (This is what's known as a back-door Roth contribution.)

And you still have unti April 15 to re-do it, with either option still available. And amending your return won't be necessary.

Did you include a Form 8606 with your return? You should have. Either way you made a nondeductible IRA contribution for 2012, and you're going to get a 1099-R for 2013. The withdrawal in 2013 will be nontaxable.

I think this is the case where you can file a Form 8606 by itself, without an amended return. But you do have to sign the form when doing that.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.