Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
I contributed to 2012 IRA (in Jan 2013) and after finishing the taxes realized I cannot deduct the amount from my taxes due to high AGI. I withdrew the money from my IRA.What forms do I have to file with IRS?

Did you address earnings or just withdraw the contribution amount? I suspect the latter, in which case you have a 2012 contribution and a 2013 withdrawal. Whether you like or not or intended to or not, you made a nondeductible 2012 contribution, which you document in Part I of Form 8606 filed with your 2012 return.

Your custodian will send you a 2013 1099-R documenting the withdrawal. You will use Part I of your 2013 Form 8606 to compute the taxable portion, if any, of that withdrawal. If you're under 59 1/2 the taxable portion will also be subject to the 10% penalty.

Piling on Bill, next time try asking before you act, not after.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

P.S. If by chance you do not have any other traditional IRA money, including SEPs, SIMPLEs or rollovers from prior employer plans, let us know. You can do the back door Roth contribution Bill mentioned with little, if any, effect on your taxes.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.