Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
[[I converted my IRA into a Roth for '98 and have already filed (amazingly
enough) and spent the return. I did not actually contribute to any IRA for '98,
but having recently sold some securities and realizing the benefits of tax-free
earnings, would like to contribute $2000 to my Roth for '98.

I am (well) under the earnings cap for contribution; since there is no tax
deduction for a Roth contribution, what, if anything, do I need to do in order to
re-file to make my '98 Roth contribution before 15 April?]]

At this point, if all you are doing is making the Roth IRA contribution for 1998, you don't even have to file an amended tax return. There is nowhere in the tax return where you are required to report your Roth IRA contribution. So just make sure that you make the Roth IRA contribution before April 15th, and keep track of that contribution, and you'll be home free. No problem.

TMF Taxes
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.