No. of Recommendations: 2
I could be wrong, but I think the actual statistics say you are more likely to die in a car crash than a plane crash. I think that is looking at deaths per passenger mile, but I'm not sure (seems likely, though). But, yes, given a crash the odds of surviving a plane crash are probably much lower than surviving a car crash (again, I don't have data so could be wrong on that point).

I hedge that a bit just because sometimes "common sense" turns out to be wrong. That last statement is just my intuition about survivability given a crash. The velocities involved with auto accidents are much lower, and the safety features are better (air bags, three-point seat belts, crumple zones, etc).

1pg
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.