Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
I could have half a dozen Roth IRA accounts with various brokers and as far as the government is concerned it’s treated just like it’s one big honking IRA.

Correct.

If I opened my first one ten years ago and my last one ten minutes ago and I’m 60 years old it doesn’t sound like I need to worry about the five year rule because my big honking group Roth IRA is already “old enough”.

Again correct. Although for completeness I'll point out that there are two different 5 year rules: one for conversions and different one for earnings. Given the facts you presented, both have been met.

And if it’s old enough do I really care whether the money coming out is from donations, conversions or rollovers because they’re all tax free?

Nope. You no longer care in that situation.

I will also point out that if you open your very first Roth IRA at, say, age 58, you can't take tax free withdrawals of earnings until you are 63 years old. Penalty free withdrawals from conversions would be OK, though.

--Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.