Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
I could swear that the original FAQs on the economic stimulus program said if you owe on taxes, that your economic stimulus check would be unaffected. DH and I are almost done with 2008's owed amount and today got a letter that our checks would be applied to the remainder.

I presume you mean 2007's owed amount, since for calendar year filers, 2008 taxes are not due yet.

That said, my recollection is that the intent for the stimulus payments was always that any owed taxes, student loans, child support, etc. would be taken out of the stimulus payment prior to sending it, just like refunds have those items taken out. And as you have discovered, the current FAQs on the website also say that.

With Google, I was able to find a cached FAQ page from March 17, 2008 that also stated that back taxes would be taken out of stimulus payments http://tinyurl.com/6nb7t6

All or part of an economic stimulus payment may be applied to back taxes or certain other debts of the taxpayer, such as delinquent child support and student loans. In such cases, the IRS will send a letter to the taxpayer explaining the offset.

I'm not sure if there were any FAQs prior to that date.

I don't mind since it just means I will send a much smaller final check for our debt. But I am frustrated when I have such a clear memory that this would not happen since the intent is to put zip into a moribund economy.

So take the money you were going to send to the IRS for the last of your tax payments and spend that instead.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.